- Eco-Makers for Grades 5-8
Tuesday, April 17, 2018
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
- Eco-Makers last class
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Event Phone: 914-274-8205
Registration for Spring ECO-MAKERS Session Now Open!
In collaboration with Greenburgh Nature Center, we are pleased to offer ECO-MAKERS!
This maker class is focused on creating sustainable solutions for a more efficient and beautiful environment. You can make things that are fun to design and build, while at the same time learning how to create sustainable solutions for the environment. This class will take your passion and ratchet it up a bit as you learn how to build an aquaponic garden, a hydroponic growing station and a solar charger built from scratch. In this real-life class, the hydroponic garden you build in this class will be installed at the Greenburgh Nature Center! Applying today’s technology to projects focused on sustainability for a better tomorrow is what this class is all about.
The class will start out at our White Plains location (77 Tarrytown Road, White Plains) and some sessions (dates TBD) will be held at the Greenburgh Nature Center (99 Dromore Rd, Scarsdale, NY).
Things you will learn about:
- Alternative energy sources: wind, hydro, and solar power – how do they work and how can we make our own versions to power our household devices
- Thermal heating: how to heat and cool a house using the coolness of the earth and the heat of the sun
- Water catchment and storage: what is a green roof?
- Adobe clay: its historical importance, environmental benefits, and how we can create our own.
- Upcycling: creating treasure (in the form of art and furniture) from other people’s trash and salvaged wood
- Volunteer opportunity research: where are these technological advancements actually happening and being practiced, and how can we help
There’s so much to learn in this class and so many ways to use your hands, mind and MAKER skills in a meaningful way.
The spring term will run for 8 Tuesday sessions: April 17, 24, May 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, June 5.
This session is designed for ages 10 and up or students in grades 5-8. You will be working with tools, raw materials while learning about environmental science. You do not need prior experience but you should have an interest in making, inventing, designing and working with others to bring projects to life. Best of all, you will be working with other kids and a fantastic instructor, Rich Driscoll, to learn how to design and build real-world solutions.
Fee: $225 per participant. $205 per participant when 2 or more are registered at the same time. Register at the links below.
If you have any further questions, please e-mail us at [email protected]